Before taking a dog or puppy into your life, consider the following:
- The average life span of a dog is 12-15 years.
- Dogs are social animals and require daily exercise.
- The cost of owning a dog-food, vet visits (neutering, vaccinations), license etc.
- A dog should not be left alone for long periods of time as it may become bored and destructive (up to 4 hours maximum).
- The size and breed of the dog in relation to your house/garden and the area where you live.
- Select your dog from a reputable breeder or even better still, from your local re-homing or rescue shelter(Animals In Need). NEVER buy dogs from pet-shops, puppy farms, advertisements in papers, local sales etc.(these are often just covers for puppy farms).
- A dog should NEVER be bought on impulse.This is a very important decision and needs a lot of thought.
- Remember a dog is a part of the family and is a life-long commitment.
As our freinds at the Dogs Trust say: A DOG IS FOR LIFE, NOT JUST FOR CHRISTMAS.